Friday, June 16, 2006

How the Hell?!

Have you ever gone into the kitchen from your bedroom, and then forget why you went there to begin with? You ever wiped your arse, then take another wipe cause you can’t remember whether the last wipe was really clean? Ever lathered your hair with soap, and your body with shampoo? Ever brushed your teeth with someone else’s toothbrush by mistake? Ever gone into a warzone dressed as a bulls-eye target?

This very morning, I decided to pump petrol as it was bright and early, and the air misted with fresh dewdrops from heaven. I eased my car into the lot at the SPC station along Siglap Road, and gave my order to the pump attendant.

Immediately, I felt something was amiss. There was a certain lack of warmth, almost bordering on hostility. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I attributed it to the early hours, and left it at that. It must’ve been quite a long shift for the uncle there.

I entered the shop and browsed, knowing full well roughly how long the tank took to fill up. I also needed some car wash solution. I walked through every isle, flipped through the magazine rack and analysed the varied items on the car products shelf.

I finally queue up for payment, and the cashier almost growls at me as I pass her my purchases and gives her my pump number. I was amused at all the unhappiness emanating from all the staff at the site. Its almost as if the big boss had just screwed them or something. I made my payments, and happily returned to the car. I even waved a note of thanks to the uncle as I got in. He grudgingly returned the motion.

As bemused as I was, I left the station feeling a little shortchanged. For all the positivity that I gave off, I didn’t even get a single smile in return? Then I pondered as to why I’m so chirpy this fine morning. Perhaps it was the fine breakfast I was then going to have once I reach home, or just the cool weather and friendly sun, or the bright blue Shell polo t-shirt I have on, the one I got from my previous job, the one that said Shell fuels are better as they give better mileage, the very Shell fuel that wasn’t being pumped into my car……….

No fucking wonder!!!!

I laughed my ass all the way home. It was so ridiculous. And then I remember how smug I was the whole time I was there. Hilarious.

The Truth? I screwed up, by not being fully aware of myself and my surroundings. It is alarming that I didn’t notice. Have I gotten to that stage where things in my face may not occur to me to be there?
Worrying, truly worrying.

When was the last time you did something like that?


1 comment:

Adrian said...

I have never done anything like this. Oh, wait . . . *goes into fatal flashbacks*