Monday, May 01, 2006

My Voice is Huskie

What a tumultuous week it has been. Or rather, month, or even year. The end of the month has come and gone. A third of the year has come and gone. April used to be my favourite month, as it contains my birthday and all. But I think it won't be my favoured 30 days of the year anymore. Not in the near future anyway.

A year of great change, as my sis-in-law said. And it feels fun, to a certain extent. A real shot to the arm of my life. Wonder when these self-destructive, chaos loving tendencies will subside and give way to reason and order.

So I got a new dog this past Wednesday. My elder bro said over dinner that he was gonna check out a huskie later in the evening. It got me all excited, yet bittersweet. For so many reasons. But it was time to get a new dog. My previous dog had passed away late last year, and in a sense, I've been longing for a new one, after a proper period of mourning. After all, she had been with me for 20 years. She was a mongrel, strong and stubborn, yet loving and protective. She had spunk. She had character. She had the most amazing brown eyes that spoke volumes to me. Her name was Mickey.

So we went all the way to Choa Chu Kang, one of my most hated places on this tiny island we call home, and hated for so many reasons. Those in the know would know why. We met up with the owners, who were first time pet owners, and it is such a sin to keep such an active dog in such an enclosed space. He bore a fine stance, evidence of his pedigree. He was proud and playful. A pup at a mere 7 months of age. We fell in love with him at once, and also for the fact that we'd be getting a fine animal at a fantastic price. For Free! We did give a customary Ang Bao, and hastily retreated to the car with our prized possession.

Its been quite a few days. He has settled in. Notice how I haven't said anything about a name. That's because we can't make up our minds on one. A few that stuck harder than most; Max, Eiffel, Tiki (Stubborn in Teochew, my personal favourite), Lucky, Ah Gao and an assortment of Russian names. He loves to nibble on human flesh, pounce, shed fur, sniff assess, poke groins and hump.

All dogs go to heaven. Because they are so true to themselves. If only we humans did the same.

Please post some ideas for names. Thank you.

2 comments:

Adrian said...

I prefer cats. They're so much cooler. If I wanted loyalty I'd get an Adrian.

duff said...

Cats are unresponsive.

Adrians are worse. Loyalty?! Pfah!