Thursday, May 18, 2006

Dell Hell

So my laptop came the other day.

I had ordered it online sometime around the middle of last week. Picked an affordable model, added all the features that I love, and bought it with a credit card. Even with a public holiday inbetween, they took less than the stipulated 5 working days to deliver it. An idiotic delivery guy sent it over. But nothing could jar me from the good trades I had just done before his arrival.

As it happens, I was so busy that I didn't open the box till the next evening. Quite amazing, considering how much the bloody thing costs. Although, comparing to whats out there in the market, it is pretty affordable.

Hence I have named it, "El Cheapo"!
Also a stab at my own frugality (if you can call it that, purchasing a laptop is no small matter to someone like me, not being gainfully employed).

Anyways, I took it out and started reconfiguring it. You get so used to your usual set up on the desktop that you are almost lazy to change everything on the new laptop to what you've been using all along. It is an arduous process that will take days to accomplish and weeks to fine tune (yes, I can be quite anal about some things, if you haven't noticed).

Another mind-boggling thing is setting up all the usual software that I use, and files that I need. Could someone please teach me how to connect my lappy to my desky? I could never figure out home networking connectivity. And yes, I am a graduate of NUS, Computer Engineering at the School of Computing. Doesn't really count for much, does it? Check
this out.

Overall, pretty happy with El Cheapo. Hopefully it will serve me well. For a long time to come. I don't ask for much, just perform as well as my desktop and I'll be happy. Muhahahhaaa!

No comments: