Thursday, August 31, 2006

The ultimate bloodsucker, my car is.

I almost died over the weekend again. Twice. Within a span of 5mins.

Both instances were clear examples of requiring the driver’s eyes to be on the road at every instance of locomotion. The first occurred when I was fixing up the next disc to insert into the radio. I lifted my head in time to see the car approaching towards me (its all relative, isn’t it?) at an uncomfortable pace. I braked and swerved in the nick of time. The driver horned at me, more out of shock than anything else. I mean, his warning came after the fact. The funny thing was that my heart didn’t pound as it usually does after near-deaths. Rather, I felt quite calm, and carried on my journey. I guess it was because I was in such a nonchalant mood.

5 minutes later, I did it again, this time, I was directing the air-con vents toward me as it was a bloody hot day. Same thing, only this time my little brother shouted at me, and woke me from my preoccupation with not sweating. I braked too harshly (but thank you ABS!). So there, twice. This blog could have not ever seen the light of day and you would have regained 5 mins of your life. Quick, turn away now. Close the browser and move along with your stagnant life.

Still here? Cool.

The reason I call this car a bloodsucker is that it literally sucks so much blood from my wallet. Just this week, my battery died. I called my car dealership for help, and they sent down a sub-conned tow truck. The dude suggested that he change the battery for me then and there, saving time and undercutting the dealership. I said ok, knowing full well the cost of doing so. My warranty may be voided, the battery could suck soon after, and many other factors. But I went along anyway because I wanted to carry on using the car for the evening. The money changed hands and the deed was done. The trip home was a ride of supreme introspection. I ran the scenario over in my head countless of times. I know I made my decision, but was it the right one? I live by the motto of just doing the right thing. But the right thing seems such an abstract notion now. Its all about context I guess.

So the thing is, did the decision of changing the battery then and there, and the convenience of having the car work immediately worth the risk of my warranty being voided? Give me your two cents please? I’ll take both for your thoughts, and not just a penny like most others.

This risk taking also led me to question my current immediate direction in life, that of trading futures contracts as a living. Am I taking way too much risk? Is my tolerance too high for4 my own good? It was a trying evening to say the least.

And thus, I felt the car was such a burden. It didn’t help that I had to renew my road tax this month either, and that my trading account is in a net negative for August. I was out of it for quite a while.

But just the other night, I had a wonderful experience in the car that reminded me that it’s actually quite worth the while for instances like these. No, it wasn’t car sex in the back seat. (my car’s too small for that, or am I too big? Hmm…..) It was pure and simple. It was just a kid in the car ahead of me at the traffic lights. He stared right at me, and started shooting imaginary bullets with his handgun.

I returned fire.

He ducked, and we sparred vehemently to the next traffic light, where I had to turn off. I waved goodbye and he waved back at me, smiling. I laughed. It was pure, unadulterated joy. And it redeems humanity in my psyche. There may just be hope yet.

No comments: